A Warrnambool man charged with raping his former partner has been granted bail due to a potential two-year court delay caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
The 32-year-old, who cannot be named because that could identify the victim, appeared in Warrnambool Magistrates Court on Monday where he made a successful bail application.
Members of the Warrnambool police sex offences and child abuse investigation team arrested the man on Friday, he was interviewed and is now facing about 20 new charges.
Those charges include rape, sexual assault, attempting to pervert the course of justice, false imprisonment as well as breaching both bail and intervention orders.
The man previously spent about a month in custody on remand charged with family violence and assault-related offending.
He was released on bail on September 1.
All the charges relate to the same alleged victim.
The new charges are alleged to have been committed in June, July and August this year.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Paul Harris said the man was initially charged with breaches of an intervention order, unlawful assaults and bail offences.
He said those alleged offences occurred in a domestic situation between the man and his now ex-partner.
Senior Constable Harris said the man was previously arrested and remanded in custody for about one month.
"In the interim time while he was in custody, the victim spoke to police and provided a detailed statement which further alleges unlawful imprisonment, rape and other substantial, serious offending," he said.
The prosecutor said the new alleged offending occurred prior to the man's successful bail application on September 1.
He said that since being on bail, the accused man had not reoffended or attempted to contact the complainant.
Magistrate Peter Mellas said the court was previously concerned about the man prohibiting the complainant from reporting alleged acts of violence to the police.
But he said the victim had since followed through with her complaints and made a 15-page statement to police.
"These are very serious allegations and she was very clearly prepared to follow through with her complaints," the magistrate said.
The court heard the man intended to contest the charges.
Mr Mellas said there were substantial court delays due to the coronavirus pandemic and that the man could wait two years for a trial date in the County Court.
He said a $5000 bail surety was still in place and the man had employment and strong family support.
Mr Mellas granted bail.
"But if there are any breaches of bail conditions, he'll be going back into custody for a very long time," he said.
The accused man was released from custody and will appear in court on January 28 for a committal mention hearing.
He must abide by strict bail conditions, including he comply with a court-imposed intervention order, not consume alcohol or drugs and participate in a Men's Behaviour Change Program.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
- Bookmark https://www.standard.net.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines
- and newsletters.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Tap here to open our Google News page.
- Join our Courts and Crime Facebook group and our dedicated Sport Facebook group