People will have the chance to gather and remember those who fought and died in war at Anzac Day services across the region next week.
The biggest commemoration will be held in Warrnambool, with the city’s RSL involving younger generations in the April 25 service like never before.
Warrnambool RSL’s Doug Heazlewood said, for the first time, children would be encouraged to place a poppy on a board at the conclusion of the service.
Local school students will also play important roles during proceedings, reciting the Anzac Requiem and a number of verses. The RSL Youth Choir, led by Janet Ferguson and made up of students from Warrnambool’s secondary schools, will lead the anthems and hymns.
Warrnambool RSL’s Michael Bellamy stressed that Anzac Day was about remembering those who served their country.
“It’s not a celebration, it’s a commemoration. It’s a commemoration of those who have actually served,” he said.
“It’s a good time to reflect on people who have made a sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we do in this country.”
Anzac Day services across the south-west include:
- Camperdown: 6am, dawn service at memorial, 10.30am march from clock tower to memorial for service.
- Cobden: 11am, commemorative service at the memorial.
- Dennington: 7.30am, community breakfast. 9am, march and commemorative service at the war memorial.
- Derrinallum and Lismore: 10.30am, commemorative service at the war memorial, Derrinallum.
- Ellerslie: 9am, commemorative service at the war memorial.
- Hawkesdale: 6am, dawn service at Hawkesdale Memorial Hall.
- Koroit: 12.30pm, service and wreath-laying at war memorial.
- Macarthur: 11am, service at Macarthur hall, followed by wreath-laying ceremony at the cenotaph.
- Mortlake: 10am, march and commemorative service, gather at post office.
- Noorat: 8am, commemorative service at the war memorial.
- Panmure: 2pm, march to commence from Church Street corner, followed by ceremony at memorial and Airforce flyover at 2.20pm.
- Port Campbell: 6am, dawn service at Beacon Point, Port Campbell.
- Port Fairy: 6.30am, dawn service at the war memorial, Railway Place. 10.15am, commemorative service, Reardon Hall, followed by wreath laying at Railway Place.
- Terang: 5.45am, dawn service, RSL, Shadforth Street. 10am, commemorative service, RSL Hall.
- Warrnambool: 5.45am, march to the war memorial and dawn service, step off corner Liebig and Timor streets. At 10.45am, march and commemorative service, step off corner of Liebig and Koroit streets (Banyan Street end due to CBD works).
- Yambuk: 6.15am, dawn service and wreath laying outside the backpackers hostel in High Street.