Picnic, camping area in Mount Clay State Forest reopens after bushfire

A POPULAR picnic and camping area in the Mount Clay State Forest has re-opened following a bushfire in April. 

The Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) re-opened the Sawpit picnic area and camping ground in the Mount Clay State Forest, north-east of Portland on Friday. 

It had been closed since April 2, when a bushfire tore through the state forest and threatened nearby Narrawong. 

DEPI acting planning manager for the far south-west James Downie said safety concerns had kept the area closed.

“We’re really pleased that all sections of the camping area, including the toilets, shelter and fireplace facilities, are now open,” he said. 

“Whaler’s Lookout Walk is also open but the Mount Clay mountain bike track is still temporarily closed.” 

Visitors to the area are asked to observe and follow any signage about remaining restricted areas, as well as being mindful of potential dangers such as falling trees. 

“While there’s lots to enjoy that’s accessible, much of the area is still fire-affected, so we ask that visitors not leave the designated campsite areas or formed walking tracks for their safety,” Mr Downie said. 

“Visiting Mount Clay State Forest promises not only beautiful scenery but a chance to see how our forests recover after a fire.”


Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop