Former Warrnambool Christian Brother on sex charges

A man now using the name Ted Bales is facing 48 charges of indecent assault and gross indecency against 14 boys in the 1970s and 1980s.

A man now using the name Ted Bales is facing 48 charges of indecent assault and gross indecency against 14 boys in the 1970s and 1980s.

A former Warrnambool Christian Brother charged with child sex offences changed his name to avoid publicity, a Victorian court has heard.

The man, now known as Ted Bales, faces 48 charges of indecent assault and gross indecency against 14 boys in the 1970s and 1980s.

Mr Bales, 64, had been stationed with the Christian Brothers at Ballarat and Warrnambool.

His defence lawyer told Melbourne Magistrates Court that Bales had changed his identity to avoid publicity because his name came up whenever the media reported on crimes involving the Christian Brothers. Mr Bales’ previous name was not disclosed.

The court heard Mr Bales spent five years in prison in the 1990s after being convicted of other sex offences.

Magistrate Peter Reardon yesterday allowed Mr Bales, of Thomastown, to report to police once a week, instead of twice.

He noted Mr Bales was not his original name, and that there was a stigma attached to people who committed crimes. “That’s just a reality,” Mr Reardon said.

Detective Senior Constable Colleen Connolly said police did not oppose changes to Mr Bales’ bail conditions as they did not believe he would try to run.

Mr Bales is alleged to have indecently assaulted males in Ballarat, Forest Hill and Warrnambool between 1970 and 1975 and in Lovely Banks, East Melbourne and Lower Templestowe between 1980 and 1984.

Two of the males were aged under 16 when they were allegedly assaulted. Mr Bales is charged with indecent assault and an act of gross indecency against a male under 16 in East Melbourne between 1983 and 1984.

He is also charged with the sexual penetration of a person under the age of 16 in Lower Templestowe in 1983, as well as charges of indecent assault against that victim.

Mr Bales was arrested by the Sano taskforce, which was established by police to investigate allegations arising from the Victorian parliamentary inquiry into child sex abuse.

He will next appear in court on July 17.                                                                                  AAP

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop