Cigarette blamed for unit blaze

A CIGARETTE is believed to have started a fire which caused substantial damage to a unit in Warrnambool yesterday morning.

Emergency services were called to adjoining units at Ocean Grove in east Warrnambool about 1am.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to one of the flats, which was mostly destroyed by the blaze.

The adjoining unit sustained smoke damage.

A Warrnambool police spokesman said the fire was not being treated as suspicious and was believed to have been sparked by a cigarette.

The occupants of both units were evacuated without anyone suffering injuries.

athomson@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop