Court sentence looms for Peterborough man after texting naked 'selfie'

A PETERBOROUGH man who sent an indecent naked “selfie” photograph to his ex-partner during persistent breaches of an intervention order will be sentenced tomorrow.

Michael James Parore, 29, of Peterborough Road, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court late last year to two counts of unlawful assault and single offences of causing criminal damage and repeated contraventions of an intervention order.

The hearing was adjourned until this week so a mental health report could be prepared for the court before sentencing.

Parore is now being assessed for a community corrections order (CCO). 

Magistrate Peter Mellas said earlier this week a letter from the defendant’s doctor indicated Parore had long-standing issues that needed to be addressed.

A psychologist reported that Parore had an intellectual disability and functioned at the level of a 10-year-old. Defence counsel Xavier Farrelly said his client turned to alcohol when failing to cope during relationship breakdowns.

Mr Mellas said Parore had committed offences while a court order was in place and protection of the victim had to be a primary sentencing consideration.

He told Parore despite the corrections order assessment being undertaken, that did not mean jail was off the table and any sentence could still involve a period in custody. 

Parore has previously spent time in jail for similar offending.

Police allege Parore and a woman were in a three-month relationship before an incident on July 27 last year.

Parore, the victim and her 12-year-old sister were play-fighting when the situation escalated because the sisters would not give back his mobile telephone.

He held the younger sister down, grabbed his girlfriend by the head, kicked her to the lower leg, damaged a TV and punched a door.

After that incident an intervention order was put in place but at 4am on October 9, Parore went back to the woman’s home and was seen inside.

The court heard that four days later he came back drunk, knocked on the front door and walked in.

The woman asked him to leave and locked him out but Parore broke through a rear door. 

Police also allege that between October 9 and 22 Parore contacted the victim 52 times, sending 49 text messages and three pictures.

In November last year a solicitor for Parore said the play fight had got out of control and admitted his client had five pages of prior convictions. He said at the time of the offending Parore may have been paranoid or delusional.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide