A family member of the initial person who tested positive to COVID in Corangamite has now returned a positive result.
Southwest Healthcare chief executive officer Craig Fraser confirmed the second positive test to media early Monday morning.
The coronavirus alert was raised in Warrnambool, Camperdown and Terang on Friday afternoon/evening after a positive case travelled from Camperdown to Warrnambool on a bus the previous Saturday, September 18.
There were 33 exposure sites listed - two tier 1 and 31 tier 2 sites - including a large number in the Warrnambool central business district.
Testing sites were set up Friday night and began operations at 8am Saturday.
There were about 2100 tests conducted at Warrnambool's Friendly Societies' Park, and in Camperdown and Terang.
About another 700 tests were conducted on Sunday.
Mr Fraser said there was a huge demand statewide for testing and processing results at the weekend and about 300 of the 2800 south-west tests had been completed.
"There was a second confirmed positive case, a family member of the first case," he said, while explaining all others tested were clear.
"That person has been isolating and is seen as very low risk."
Mr Fraser said often family members returned positive tests after an initial outbreak due to the contagious delta variant of COVID-19.
He said there may be additional exposure sites but that would only be known when more information was provided through health authorities this morning "but, I'm not sure".
The CEO said if there was then the process would start again - announcing exposure sites and testing.
Mr Fraser called for anyone with symptoms to get tested and anyone who was at an exposure site at the relevant times to undergo the process.
Mr Fraser said testing would continue today.
The Merri Street clinic in Warrnambool will be open between 8am and 4pm, the testing site at the Friendly Societies' Park between 7.30am and 5pm and in Camperdown from 10am until 2pm.
The CEO said Southwest Healthcare was aware early Friday afternoon that a person positive to COVID had travelled on a bus from Camperdown to Warrnambool the previous Saturday and there were tier 1 and tier 2 exposure sites.
"We knew we needed to do a lot of testing," he said.
"We had been planning for this, we knew there would be a positive case at some time. It was a matter of not if, but when."
Mr Fraser said it took some time from the initial announcement of a positive case to when exposure sites were revealed.
"The rumour mill was running pretty wildly," he said in reference to the initial announcement and then the delay.
"We wanted to assure people there was something happening. We weren't aware of the tier 1 or 2 sites at that stage.
"When we were provided that information by Barwon public health we immediately reposted, so that people could get clarity and know whether they needed to get tested or not.
"Sometimes we would wait but we wanted to get on the front foot
and we were setting up testing sites.
"It was great to see everyone get tested," he said.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
- Bookmark https://www.standard.net.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines
- and newsletters.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Tap here to open our Google News page.
- Join our Courts and Crime Facebook group and our dedicated Sport Facebook group