The Warrnambool State Emergency Service unit is looking for a new leader after the shock resignation of long-time controller Giorgio Palmeri.
Victoria State Emergency Service regional manager Nicholas Cowham thanked Mr Palmeri for his service.
"Giorgio has been unit controller of the VICSES Warrnambool Unit for almost nine years and we're incredibly sad to see him go," he said.
"We thank Giorgio for his tireless commitment to the service and his community, but also for his unfaltering leadership as unit controller of the Warrnambool unit.
"We are now commencing the process to appoint a new controller for the unit.
"This is a great opportunity for one of the many capable volunteers we have to take on this exciting but challenging role," he said.
Mr Palmeri declined to comment.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
- Bookmark https://www.standard.net.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines
- and newsletters.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Tap here to open our Google News page.
- Join our Courts and Crime Facebook group and our dedicated Sport Facebook group