AUSTRALIA, featuring Warrnambool export Nathan Sobey, is preparing to face Argentina as its quest for a maiden Olympic basketball medal heats up.
The Boomers, who won their three pool games in Tokyo, will play their quarter-final at 10pm Tuesday AEST.
The Australians' side of the draw is stacked.
The winner will face a powerhouse in the semi-final - either Team USA or Spain.
MORE BASKETBALL: Career-high for teenager as Seahawks sink Giants
America and Spain are ranked one and two on the FIBA world rankings with Australia third.
Argentina is ranked fourth.
Italy versus France and Slovenia versus Germany are the other quarter-final match-ups.
Quarter-final winners progress to the semi-finals which will determine which teams play for gold and silver and which teams will vie for bronze.
Sobey, in his first Olympic Games, had his best game in Australian colours in its final pool game on Saturday night, scoring four points from 12 minutes' playing time against Germany.
The point guard's court time included a dime to Jock Landale for a slam dunk in the final term.
- Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
- Bookmark https://www.standard.net.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines and newsletters.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Tap here to open our Google News page.
- Join our Courts and Crime Facebook group and our dedicated Sport Facebook group