UPDATE, Tuesday, 8.20am: A Warrnambool district man aged in his 30s is expected to be interviewed by police in relation to a series of fires lit in the Framlingham Forest on Wednesday, January 13.
It is understood police have had initial conversations with the suspect, but he is yet to be formally interviewed by Warrnambool crime investigation unit detectives.
Police are still waiting to receive a detailed report on the seat of the fires, which is being compiled by a Country Fire Authority investigator and Parks Victoria.
Last week: A Country Fire Authority investigator and Parks Victoria are compiling a detailed report into fires deliberately lit in the Framlingham Forest mid-last week.
The fires began around noon Wednesday and 10 CFA units as well as two fixed-winged bombers and a helicopter took until late afternoon to bring them under control.
The blazes were in multiple locations across the Framlingham Forest with the largest about five hectares in size.
They were situated 4.5 kilometres south of Framlingham at the Framlingham Forest Road and there was no threat to residents.
It took about three hours to bring the incident under control.
Detective Senior Constable Wayne Ryan, of the Warrnambool police crime investigation unit, said the investigation into the cause of the fires was ongoing.
"It's obviously very concerning that these fires have been deliberately lit in the Framlingham Forest," he said.
"We would request that anyone with information contact the Warrnambool police CIU on 5560 1153 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
"That type of offending at this time of year is a major worry.
"Deliberately lit fires put the lives of residents and their property at significant risk.
"We need the public's assistance to catch this offender. Any information, such as a vehicle seen in the area on Wednesday morning, could be the crucial piece of information we need."
The detective said Parks Victoria and a CFA fire expert were conducting a thorough investigation in relation to the initial starting point of the fires and compiling a detailed report for police officers.
Anyone found guilty of recklessly or intentionally causing a bushfire faces a penalty of up to 15 years in prison.
Last week Warrnambool CFA incident controller Richard Bourke praised the quick responses from crews as an important factor in saving culturally significant Indigenous sites.
"The crews did a great job working in a culturally sensitive site and to protect the area," he said.
"The quick response and the weather certainly helped."
Late last year Victoria Police launched Operation Safeguard - the annual police operation which aims to deter or reduce impact of intentional and recklessly lit fires across Victoria.
Assistant Commissioner Michael Grainger said the community could expect a highly visible police presence, particularly during fire danger periods.
"Our intelligence indicates that the risk of fire varies in different areas, which is why local police will use their local knowledge to prevent, detect and respond to fires," he said.
"Police will investigate and take action to catch those responsible when a fire is deemed suspicious, whether it was a deliberate or reckless action."
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.