WARRNAMBOOL Seahawks and Mermaids won't play Big V seasons in 2020 after Basketball Victoria was forced to cancel the competition on Wednesday.
The re-introduction of stage three restrictions for metropolitan Melbourne meant the body had no choice but to cancel the statewide competition.
Listen to this week's edition of The Standard's football podcast - The Main Break
"We unfortunately have no alternative but to cancel the 2020 Big V Season. Further details for associations and the 2021 season plan will follow in the near future," BV said in a statement on their website.
"While this announcement is disappointing for the return of community basketball for a large percentage of the Victorian population, the health and safety of the community is the most important focus for us all at the moment.
"We must play our part to help curb the spread."
Seahawks and Mermaids president Jacob Sobey said it was the decision they had been waiting for since day one.
"Our intention wasn't to play regardless and we made that clear to them in the last few weeks and this is them announcing the inevitable," he said.
"We're glad it (the decision) has been made early as the further it dragged out the less likely it was going to happen. This is the final nail in coffin and it's letting teams relax a bit and get ready for next year."
The Seahawks and Mermaids, under first-year coaches Shane Smith and Lee Primmer, were to play in the division one competition in 2020.
Sobey said the club would speak to Primmer and Smith in the coming weeks to see what their intentions are for the next 12 to 18 months.
Players 18 years and under in regional Victoria are still allowed to participate in full contact training and competition for both indoor and outdoor.
Non-contact training for both indoor and outdoor is currently possible for seniors (19 years and over).
A return to full contact training (July 13) and competition (July 20) both indoor and outdoor is still to be confirmed by the Department of Health and Human Services.
Basketball Victoria expects the 2020-21 Country Basketball season will go ahead without alteration.
"While we may have geographical challenges, working together to keep our community engaged while managing the return to basketball in a timely, yet safe and controlled manner is critical," the statement read.
"Please continue to follow Victorian Government directives, maintain increased hygiene practices as well as adequate social distancing measures, as this will aid in the ongoing health and safety of our community."
Sobey said the club would wait and see on the CBL season with the situation in Melbourne changing every day.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.