Council-run caravan parks in the south-west have closed to deter domestic travel to the region amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison this week advised Australians that "all non-essential travel should be cancelled", flagging likely disruptions to school holiday travel plans.
Moyne Shire chief executive officer Bill Millard said the decision to close the council's caravan parks followed that recommendation.
"Council-operated caravan parks will close, with current holiday-makers told to vacate as soon as possible," Mr Millard said.
"Current and future bookings will be offered a refund or credit, and no further bookings are being taken."
The closures have affected six caravan parks in Port Fairy, Yambuk, Koroit, Mortlake and Killarney and a free caravan park at Panmure.
"To further discourage visitors to the region, council will also ban use of free camping sites, which will be enforced by our local laws officers," Mr Millard said.
Warrnambool City Council chief executive officer Peter Schneider said the council would close all powered and unpowered sites at Surfside Holiday Park, but cabins would remain available under certain circumstances.
"Surfside cabins will be made available on compassionate grounds and for people who require accommodation as they transit home," Mr Schneider said.
Moyne Shire has also closed its Port Fairy and Mortlake customer service centres, and is asking people to contact those services by phone.
The council's kindergartens and child care centres remain open at federal and state government direction, but the council will waive fees for families choosing to isolate and keep their children home.
Moyne Shire Mayor, Cr Daniel Meade urged the community to continue to support local businesses and each other.
"I urge everyone to support local businesses where possible," Cr Meade said.
"Many local businesses are offering a takeaway or delivery service, so it is really important that we try to support local businesses during these tough times."
Mr Millard told The Standard last week he would be discussing support measures for businesses with the council as the situation evolved.
The council also cancelled its ordinary meeting scheduled for Tuesday.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.