Plans are in place for the consolidation of Port Fairy's war memorials to one location.
The Port Fairy RSL is seeking public feedback on the relocation of the war memorial on the Princes Highway to Railway Place.
There is already a war memorial on Railway Place, which is the site of the RSL's official Anzac Day and Remembrance Day services each year.
Dedicated in 1929, the Princes Highway memorial has the names of 233 district soldiers who fought and died in both the first and second world wars inscribed on it.
The Railway Place memorial is dedicated to service personnel who served in World War 2 and subsequent conflicts.
Port Fairy RSL president Doug Nolte said the Railway Place memorial had been in place for close to two decades.
He said the move of the Princes Highway memorial to railway place was all about safety.
"It has been a directive from RSL head office that we have our services at Railway Place," Mr Nolte said.
"It takes away the risk of large numbers of people standing at the memorial on the the highway.
"We aren't allowed to close off the highway for the service so we see the relocation as a safe way to honour all who have served from Port Fairy and district.
"There have been a couple of close calls in the past when services have been held at the memorial on the highway.
"People want to pay their respects, not just on Anzac Day and Remembrance Day, but all year round. This will mean they can do that in one safe location."
Mr Nolte said the Princes Highway memorial would be lifted and transported to Railway Place.
"It will be a big job and something we want to take the time to do exactly right," Mr Nolte said.
"It will be done in a few different sections so that no damage is done.
"We will place a plaque at the Princes Highway site."
Moyne Shire Council mayor Mick Wolfe said the RSL had approached council about the relocation plans.
Cr Wolfe said council had advised the RSL to put the idea out for public comment.
He said if the public supports the move, council would do what it could to assist the RSL to complete the project.
Speaking with his police sergeant hat on, Cr Wolfe said he could see merit in the move.
"There certainly has been some concerns with crowds gathered where a large volume of traffic is passing through," he said.
Public submissions to the RSL on the proposed relocation are opened until October 18.