Police are praising the efforts of a neighbour who saved a Kenna Avenue unit in Hamilton from being destroyed by fire on Wednesday night.
Detective Sergeant Mark James, of the Hamilton police crime investigation unit, said it appeared that items had been left on a stove top that caught fire about 7pm.
He said a neighbour heard a smoke alarm, investigated, opened a window and put out the fire out with water before it could catch hold.
"There's nothing suspicious about the cause of the fire at this stage," he said.
"There's damage to the stove top in the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the unit.
"The neighbour was able to put the fire out before it spread. It was a pretty good effort."
Detective Sergeant James said the flat's resident was out at the time of the fire.
"The cause looks accidental and the fire appears to have been started by items left on the stove," he said.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.