UPDATE: Sunday 4.35pm
Parks Victoria has re-opened three Great Ocean Road sites on Sunday afternoon after wild conditions lashed the south-west across the weekend.
Closures at Sherbrooke River beach and Gibson Steps remain in place.
Access to Port Campbell bay, the beach at Gibson Steps, along with the lower levels of The Grotto, Boat Bay boat ramp at Peterborough and Sherbrooke River estuary was closed on Friday due to high tides and dangerous conditions.
Parks Victoria's area chief ranger for the Shipwreck Coast Andrew McKinnon said as a result of assessment and ongoing condition monitoring over the last 48 hours that Sherbrooke River beach and Gibson Steps would remain closed until further notice.
Sherbrooke River beach was closed due to operational activity and Gibson Steps was off limits due to dangerous tidal and surf conditions as of 4.10pm Sunday, he said.
Port Campbell bay, The Grotto and Boat Ramp Bay at Peterborough were re-opened on Sunday afternoon.
EARLIER: Sunday 3.20pm
Five Great Ocean Road sites closed on Friday due to wild weather conditions remain off limits to the public on Sunday.
Access to Port Campbell bay, the beach at Gibson Steps, along with the lower levels of The Grotto, Boat Bay boat ramp at Peterborough and Sherbrooke River estuary remain closed.
Parks Victoria's area chief ranger for the Shipwreck Coast Andrew McKinnon said on Sunday afternoon Parks Victoria staff had been actively monitoring sites across the weekend.
"It's still fairly rough and high conditions," Mr McKinnon said.
He said high tide along the coastline was expected about 4pm Sunday and staff continued to keep an eye on each location.
Mr McKinnon said a photo taken by a Parks Victoria team member at Gibson Steps at 1pm today highlighted the dangers in the area.
"It was taken about three hours before high tide and the water's already basically up to the cliff face and the tide is still rising. That's one of the reasons we don't have people down there again today," he said.
"High tide's actually getting later (today). We would anticipate, based on that, that conditions wouldn't allow us to open any of these until either much later today on dusk, or into tomorrow."
He said the sites would remain off limits until further notice from Parks Victoria.
Mr McKinnon said fortunately sightseers had adhered to the closures and media reports that indicated it was a one in 50 year storm had increased visitation across the weekend.
"We have had a lot of people come down to enjoy the spectacular scenery and the very good thing is no one's got up close and personal," Mr McKinnon said.
"There's been no incidents recorded so far this weekend, so people have been down enjoying the spectacular scenery that these conditions have made and they haven't been putting themselves or us in peril."
To keep up to date with site closures, and when they are lifted, go to the Parks Victoria website and search Port Campbell National Park.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.