Work has begun to replace 45,000 sleepers on the Warrnambool train line.
The works will take place overnight between trains to reduce disruption on the line, but V/Line said that some temporary speed restrictions would be put in place as a safety precaution.
The $18 million sleeper replacement program will take place on the section of track between Colac and Warrnambool, with the first stage starting on September 4 and expected to be completed by December 20.
Crews of around 50 V/Line staff and contractors will replace timber sleepers with concrete and will return to the line in mid-January to continue the second stage of the program, which is expected to be completed by the end of March.
V/Line said the works could create some noise at night, but that the transport company would communicate with local residents, and that works would progress quickly along the line.
Minister for Public Transport Jacinta Allan said the maintenance works would help ensure Warrnambool line passengers continued to experience a safe and reliable journey.
“Whether it’s making our tracks stronger, upgrading level crossings or running more trains, we’re delivering safer and more reliable services for Warrnambool line passengers,” she said.
The maintenance works come on top of the $114 million Warrnambool line upgrade, which will include level crossing upgrades, a new crossing loop, signalling upgrades and new train stabling facilities.
In preparation for the start of construction, crews completed surveys of 12 level crossings along the line last month.