Mortlake continued its dominance of the South West Cricket Association

STRESS quickly turned into joyful relief for Mortlake captain Todd Lamont after he claimed the final two Heytesbury wickets to ensure his side collected back-to-back South West Cricket division one premierships.

Heytesbury was struggling at 8-70 before Sam Newey (19) and Travis Brown (42 not out) put on a 50-run ninth-wicket partnership.

Lamont bowled Newey and in the same over caught Bayley Thompson for LBW to secure the Cats’ 53-run victory and its sixth flag in seven years to finish the innings with three wickets, with the wicket of Thompson allowing him to relax.

“I feel relieved, but exhausted,” he told The Standard after the match.

“You invest a lot emotionally into grand finals and once it’s finished you just feel buggered, but satisfied.”

Lamont was pleased with how the day at Camperdown’s S A Wright oval panned out.

“Before the day started I wanted 200-plus and after we made 170 I said to the boys that in grand finals what you think is a good score take 50 off, as the pressure gets to everyone and no one wants to give their wicket away,” he said. 

“I thought 170 was a pretty good score in the end as we set a good platform and then lost too many wickets during the middle stage of the innings, but I was still happy with the batting performance.

“Bowling wise, we had to be disciplined and not give away too many extras and I couldn't fault anyone, they all stepped up to the plate did their job today.”

Lamont said he had given everything to try and break the partnership between Newey and Brown.

“I was pretty buggered in those last few overs, so I was bowling at the stumps to try and get the wicket,” he said.

“They were starting to look dangerous and we were running out of runs to defend, so it was a relief in the end as we felt like we had done all the hard work and we just had to finish off and get that break through.

“It was good death bowling and they had a good ninth wicket partnership and once we got that ninth wicket we knew we had it and then it would be bowling full at the pegs and I got that LBW for the 10th wicket and that was it.”

Shane Slater was named man of the match after getting Mortlake off to a flyer with the bat, making 60 runs and collecting the wicket of Paul Vogels with the ball.

In the division two grand final Simpson bowled out Boorcan for 150 to secure a 38-run victory, with Nicolas Harding named man of the match after scoring 29 with the bat. Woorndoo made sure it wasn’t a Simpson double at Terang Turf, winning by seven wickets, with Brendan Manacke (42 not out) collecting the man of the match honour.