Cool, calm Nick cruises through to round three

It may have been a straight sets victory, but even for Nick Kyrgios, this was a strange tennis match.

And this time, none of it was his fault. A calm and controlled Kyrgios had to deal with a plethora of distractions including a heckler, a helicopter, a broken shoelace and a misbehaving microphone.

And while all of these issues visibly perturbed Kyrgios, the 22-year-old didn't let it affect his - often sublime - tennis as he cruised into the third round.

A tight first set - in which Kyrgios served phenomenally but was otherwise mediocre by his standards - saw the pair trade blows until the Australian broke Viktor Troicki in the 11th game and serve it out comfortably to take the first set 7-5.

Things were looking even better for the local when he broke early in the second set, but then the distractions came flooding in.

First, a screaming man attempting to take a 'selfie' had to be ejected from the stadium by security.

Then, a low flying helicopter - perhaps an overeager pilot trying to get a glimpse of the action - clearly distracted Kyrgios.

Not long after that, Kyrgios didn't have an opponent at the other end, after Troicki snapped a shoelace while reaching for a wide ball and ran to his bag to replace it.

Will Ferrell might have been at Rod Laver Arena to interview Roger Federer, but you could have been forgiven for thinking that Anchorman 3 was being filmed at Hisense Arena, such was the calamity of the night.

Despite all of this, Kyrgios held his nerve to take out the second set and suddenly was looking at three break points in the opening game of the third.

But, there were more distractions to come.

Like a news anchor whose autocue had been altered, the crowd couldn't help but laugh when the chair umpire's microphone began playing up.

Strange sounds were being emitted every time the umpire spoke, leading to chortling from the crowd, which didn't please Kyrgios.

In the same game, he surrendered four break points, prompting Kyrgios to have a strong conversation wih umpire James Keothavong at the change of ends.

This time last year in the second round, Kyrgios was cruising against Andreas Seppi with a two sets to love lead, before capitulating and allowing the Italian to pull off a remarkable victory.

For just a fleeting moment, as Kyrgios argued with Keothavong and officials scurried to fix the technical problem, you wondered whether history could repeat itself.

But this is a new Nick, a calmer Kyrgios.

He saved a break point in the very next game and went on to break Troicki in the third game, setting up an anything-but-comfortable straight-sets win.

He was unable to convert a match point at 5-3 and then threw away the next game as he served for the match.

But he dominated the resulting tie break and now heads towards a likely Friday night date with one of his tennis idols, Jo-Wilfred Tsonga.

This story Cool, calm Nick cruises through to round three first appeared on The Age.