School bashing puts student in intensive care

An aerial view of Brauer College.
An aerial view of Brauer College.

TWO teenagers are expected to be charged over a shocking assault at a Warrnambool school that saw the young victim placed in an induced coma.

The year nine Brauer College student was attacked by two boys during lunchtime on Friday, filming the brazen assault on their mobile phones.

Police yesterday told The Standard that footage of the incident had been widely passed around.

An ambulance was called to the school and the boy was taken to South West Healthcare, where he was later placed in an induced coma.

Detective Senior Constable Colin Ryan, of the Warrnambool police criminal investigation unit, said a year nine and a year seven student had been interviewed in relation to the assault.

They are expected to be charged with recklessly causing serious injury and assault in company and will appear in a court at a date to be fixed.

Detective Senior Constable Ryan said it was initially feared that the victim had potentially serious head injuries.

"It was thought it could be very serious and involve bleeding on the brain. CT scans were done and it was found the victim had suffered severe concussion.

"The victim was placed in an induced coma on Friday afternoon. He came out of intensive care on Sunday and is on a general ward," he said yesterday.

It is understood the student was discharged from hospital yesterday and is recovering at home.

The victim is understood to be a new student this year who had been bullied.

In a statement, Brauer College principal Julie Myers said bad behaviour was not tolerated at the school.

"It is extremely disappointing when the actions of a few reflect on a school of more than 1200 students," she said.

"As soon as we became aware of this matter, we contacted the relevant authorities, organised immediate medical attention and the respective parents were promptly notified.

"Two students have been suspended in relation to the incident. The matter is being investigated by police and we are continuing to co-operate.

"We are in constant touch with the boy's family and continue to offer any required support."