UPDATE, Friday, 1.10pm:
A South Australia man and Stawell woman have been remanded in custody on kidnapping charges to appear in the Warrnambool court during August.
Ewan Hamilton, 38, and Katrina Van Rooy, 33, appeared in the Mildura Magistrates Court on Friday, did not apply for bail and were further remanded in custody until August 19 for a committal mention at the Warrnambool Magistrates Court.
They will be eligible to apply for bail leading up to their next court date.
It's expected that Hamilton police detectives, who travelled to Broken Hill court for an extradition hearing and then to Mildura for Friday's remand hearing, will consider laying other assault-related charges.
Investigations into an alleged kidnapping in Hamilton overnight on Friday, May 6, are continuing.
Police arrested the pair near Wilcannia in New South Wales, 855 kilometres from Hamilton, on Tuesday evening.
Wednesday: Two people have been arrested near Wilcannia in New South Wales after an alleged kidnapping at Hamilton early last Saturday morning.
Detective Sergeant Mark James, of the Hamilton police crime investigation unit, said kidnapping charges and warrants were previously issued for the 38-year-old South Australia man and a 33-year-old Stawell woman.
They were arrested after being intercepted on the Barrier Highway near Wilcannia about 6.30pm Tuesday.
It is 855 kilometres from Hamilton to Wilcannia.
The man and woman are expected to appear in the Broken Hill court on Thursday where Hamilton detectives are expected to seek extradition of the pair to Victoria.
If the extradition order is granted the couple are likely to appear in the Mildura Magistrates Court on Friday for a bail/remand hearing.
The man and woman have so far been charged with kidnapping, although it is likely that police will consider laying assault-related charges in the near future.
The alleged victim is reported to be recovering from serious facial injuries.
Police are expected to oppose bail in the Mildura court, claiming that the arrested duo are a flight risk.
On Tuesday police said they were looking for a blue Holden Commodore sedan after the alleged kidnapping overnight last Friday.
A Victoria Police media liaison spokeswoman said a man was allegedly picked up by a woman driving a blue Holden Commodore sedan at a Hamilton address about 11.30pm last Friday night.
Once inside the vehicle, it is alleged the man was assaulted by a male hiding inside the car.
The alleged offenders then drove to a petrol station on Cox Street where the victim managed to escape and raise the alarm.
The 38-year-old Hamilton man was taken to hospital with facial injuries.
A manhunt was launched after security camera footage from the service station was reviewed by police investigators.
Police allege there was a dispute involving four people known to each other and the 38-year-old Hamilton man was alleged assaulted and forced into the boot of the vehicle.
The driver then went to the United Petroleum service station in Cox Street at 12.20am Saturday where security cameras captured the drama.
The victim was able to escape from the boot of the vehicle, was run down and allegedly further assaulted, but sought and found refuge inside the service station office.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Now just one tap with our new app: Digital subscribers now have the convenience of faster news, right at your fingertips with The Standard:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.