Police believe an unextinguished cigarette paired with high winds has caused a fire at a residential property in Warrnambool.
Warrnambool police Acting Sergeant Natalie Jorgensen said emergency services were called to an incident on Goodall Street just before 2pm on Thursday.
She said an unextinguished cigarette left in an ashtray was believed to have started the fire.
Acting Sergeant Jorgensen said it appeared the wind had blown the cigarette onto a nearby deck at the property.
She said the fire was not being treated as suspicious.
"But it's a timely reminder that in high winds, it's important to be extra cautious," she said.
A Fire Rescue Victoria spokeswoman said eight firefighters responded to the structure fire shortly before 2pm, and arrived on scene within five minutes.
"Wearing breathing apparatus, they brought the blaze under control three minutes after arriving on scene," she said.
"Thankfully no injuries were reported."
Victoria Police assisted with traffic control.
The fire is under investigation.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.