Young men in their 20s will be almost $50,000 out of pocket after police busted a noisy COVID party in Warrnambool at the weekend.
Warrnambool police Senior Sergeant Cameron Ross said officers were called to a Rooneys Road address in west Warrnambool soon after 1am on Sunday morning with reports of a noisy party.
Officers were able to observe those at the party before making an entrance about 1.15am.
So far eight tickets have been issued for $5452 each for those who attended the illegal gathering in breach of the Victorian chief health officer's COVID-19 regulations.
Another man has been identified and is in the process of being issued with his ticket.
That's a total of $49,068.
Senior Sergeant Ross said all the men at the gathering were in their 20s and police body worn cameras had proved invaluable in gathering evidence and identifying those in attendance.
He said officers had also conducted checks at licensed Warrnambool premises during the weekend making sure the venues were complying with the 10 inside and 20 outside maximum permitted patrons.
"When we get reports of people breaching the regulations we will act on that information," he said.
"We want to do everything possible to keep the community safe," he said.
Anyone with information is requested to contact their local police station, the police assistance line on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
News of the west Warrnambool raid came after Hamilton police have cut short a proposed $100 a head drink-fest at a Hamilton hotel after the regional easing of COVID lockdown restrictions.
The pub was taking bookings for 10 people in the bar for dinner in two sittings - from 5.30pm until 7.15pm and then 7.30pm until 9pm.
"We will do the same for our beer garden for up to 20," a Facebook post said.
"Then from 9pm until 1am we have a drinks package for groups. $100 per person for any beer, wine, soft drink or basic house pour spirit in that four-hour period.
"So if you've had a gathering you've missed over the past few weeks and want to catch up, contact us and we will do our best to accommodate."
Most of the spots were booked out, until the promotion was brought to the attention of local police.
Hamilton Sergeant Rex Habel said police were made aware of the promotion which had been described as a four-hour lock-in all-you-can-drink event.
"Police were made aware of the Facebook post and invited the publican in to have a chat at the station about the responsible serving of alcohol," he said.
"My understanding is that promotion will not be going ahead."
The hotel later posted: "Sorry all, those in power clipped our wings - cancelled".
IN OTHER NEWS:
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
- Bookmark https://www.standard.net.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines
- and newsletters.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Tap here to open our Google News page.
- Join our Courts and Crime Facebook group and our dedicated Sport Facebook group