The Warrnambool and District league is taking the opportunity eased coronavirus restrictions have presented and will resume its 2021 season on Saturday.
Footballers and netballers of all grades will take to the field and court for round 16.
The league voted for Saturday's resumption at a meeting on Tuesday night and emailed clubs on Wednesday informing them on the plan.
WDFNL secretary Peter Martin said there was a range of opinions on the decision and all submissions were considered before the board reached its verdict.
"Obviously decisions were made with the knowledge they will have different impacts on individual clubs," he said in an email to clubs seen by The Standard.
"We have tried to determine what is currently in the best interests of the majority of clubs and the competition overall.
"We are also cognisant of the fact the rules may change again with very short notice, and once again significantly impact the continuance of the season leading into finals.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
- Bookmark https://www.standard.net.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Tap here to open our Google News page.
- Join our Courts and Crime Facebook group and our dedicated Sport Facebook group.
- If you have subscribed, join our subscriber-only Facebook group.
"Therefore, while the opportunity presents for our clubs to participate in competitive sport, we believe we should avail ourselves of it - particularly, as mentioned previously, we are unsure what opportunities there may or may not be in an uncertain future.
"We are aware this will not be to the advantage of all clubs, but when all relevant factors are taken into consideration we believe this is the best way to move forward and again, wish to thank all clubs for their contribution to the discussion."
Martin said finals would continue as planned with the qualifying finals set for August 21 and the grand final booked in for September 11.
Clubs will play rounds 16 and 17 without crowds, barring an early easing of the restrictions now in place for two weeks.
Spectators could return for the final round of the season on August 14 but that won't be determined until next week at the earliest.
Clubs will have to adhere to COVID-19 restrictions with outdoor spacescapped at 300 people, which is a combination of participants and those required to facilitate the activity.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.