Warrnambool City Council has declined to comment after the finalisation of a year-long WorkSafe investigation into the death of an employee on council property.
The death of the employee happened in late 2019, sparking a police investigation, but WorkSafe was not initially involved.
But, in February last year further information was provided to WorkSafe which then launched a probe.
That investigation centred on allegations of bullying and harassment.
Then Warrnambool City Council chief executive officer Peter Schneider said at the time the health and well being of staff was paramount to the council.
"Council would always co-operate with WorkSafe on any investigation and is committed to providing any information WorkSafe requires," he said.
WorkSafe this week confirmed it had completed its investigation and referred questions to WCC saying it was more appropriate for the council to comment.
An emailed request to council for comment on Wednesday went unanswered, but on Thursday a council spokesman said it was unlikely the council would comment.
The spokesman also questioned why The Standard was seeking a comment or considering running a story.
It was explained The Standard had run a number of stories about the WorkSafe investigation into the employee's death on council property.
Family of the deceased man have been contacted a number of times and they also sought answers after the employee's shock passing.
A further question was also verbally put to the council spokesman - had the council changed any policy or procedures, or taken any other action, as a result of the WorkSafe investigation?
The council spokesman said it was also likely there would also be no comment to that enquiry.
As of close of business Thursday there was no official response from the council.
The WorkSafe investigation early last year came after two long-time councillors raised issues about a "toxicity" and "serious culture issues" within the council.
Long-time former councillor Peter Hulin spectacularly resigned from the council, saying he could no longer work with his fellow councillors and an organisation that wasn't "open or transparent".
He said there was bullying within the council and "regular reports of toxicity in the workplace".
"That is not acceptable to me," he said.
Then long-time councillor Mike Neoh said he was prepared to be sacked for speaking out about cultural and communication issues at the council.
Cr Neoh said he believed there were "serious cultural issues" within the organisation.
"I welcome any investigation on serious matters regardless of the issues," he said.
Then mayor Tony Herbert said there were "a number" of investigations under way at the council to "weed out the individuals that are acting negatively towards other members of staff".
In mid July last year councillors decided in a hotly contested 4-3 vote to sack CEO Mr Schneider under a no fault clause in his contract.
He took action in the Supreme Court and last week a Justice Michael McDonald squashed that decision, saying the CEO had been denied natural justice.
Mr Schneider will return to work next Monday.
Today there was to be a hearing in the Supreme Court in parties could not agree on legal costs, but no hearing has been listed so it is expected that costs have been agreed on.
Mr Schneider's cost are expected to be well over $100,000.
Council is expected to have accumulated similar legal costs.
As part of his sacking, Mr Schneider was paid out just over $360,000.
Two interim CEOs were installed to replace him, although the first, Vicky King was already a director when appointed.
She resigned from council on Wednesday.
The second interim CEO, Gippsland's Gary Gaffney only lasted days before the Supreme Court decision was handed down.
The total expenses of sacking and replacing Mr Schneider is expected to be about $700,000.
A question was also put to the council on Thursday about whether insurance would cover at least part of the legal costs.
That question was also not answered by close of business Thursday, although the council has committed to reveal the legal costs - if permitted by the court.
IN OTHER NEWS
- Explainer: Here's where you can get a COVID-19 vaccine
- Farmer concerned UK visa changes will make it more difficult to attract staff
- Fans given all clear to return to community games
- Series of thefts from 14 cars in Warrnambool
- Warrnambool set to become home to new bar
- New gas exploration areas off Port Campbell near Twelve Apostles spark ire of campaigners
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content