THE future of the Port Fairy SES is more uncertain than ever, after the unit's Sackville Street base was condemned on Friday.
An assessment found there was an unacceptable safety risk - including a high risk of electrocution and mould embedded in the building's frame.
The electricity was disconnected on Friday afternoon and the unit was scrambling to find a place to house their equipment and to base themselves, unit controller Steve McDowell said.
"Our building as of yesterday has been condemned so we can longer operate out of that building due to health reasons," he said.
"We're urgently trying to come up with some emergency accommodation to be able to house our vehicles and equipment.
"We're scrambling now to find some suitable space in Port Fairy."
He said the unit employed a hygienist to come into the building, which was also assessed by contractors, plumbers and electricians who deemed it too unsafe to work out of.
Mr McDowell said he had been in touch with Western MP Gayle Tierney's office for help.
"We're working with both sides of politics find a solution to our immediate issue," he said.
"We're waiting to hear if there will be funding in Thursday's budget for a new facility.
"For now we need short-term accommodation to operate from.
"At this point it is potentially going to have an impact on our day-to day response with the disruption that comes with relocating.
"It's going to be bit of challenge but we will do everything in our power to make sure there's minimal disruptions."
South West Coast MP Roma Britnell implored the Andrews Labor Government to fund a new home in the 2021 Victorian Budget.
She said the situation was an indictment on the government, which has dragged its feet for years knowing the group needed a new facility.
"True to form, the Andrews Government has waited until the situation has deteriorated beyond the point of return and now a vital emergency service has no where to base themselves," Ms Britnell said.
"This is a disgraceful situation and the government now has absolutely no excuse to not provide funding for a new base in this week's state budget.
"The government must also help find a temporary home for the unit so it can keep servicing the community - it's because of the government's inaction the unit is now in this position."
Ms Britnell said she has been raising the issue in parliament and directly with the ministers responsible for the entire time she has been the Member for South West Coast
"That's almost six years the Andrews Government has ignored these warnings, six years they have ignored the desperate pleas from the members who have been saying we need action before we are left without a home," she said.
"They haven't listened and now we have the situation everyone feared would happen. The government has shown complete disregard for the issue, for the hard-working volunteers and for the Port Fairy community."
Ms Britnell said she would continue to work with the unit to find a solution and would speak with Acting Emergency Services Minister Danny Pearson urging him to act to address the situation.
A government spokesperson said temporary accommodation was being sought for the Port Fairy SES.
"We're working with CFA to quickly find temporary accommodation for the Port Fairy SES unit after power had to be cut to the existing site on Friday due to electrical safety concerns," the spokesperson said.
"The aim will be to keep all assets in Port Fairy, but the trucks will be moved to Koroit where there is additional room, as an interim solution."
"All emergency services proposals for funding are carefully assessed and those who are successful will be announced in line with the 2021 Budget - coming up later this week."
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.