* Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware this article contains images of a sacred Indigenous site that has been destroyed.
UPDATE, Tuesday 7.45am: Musician and Warumpi band member Neil Murray has expressed his disbelief at the destruction of a sacred Indigenous ceremonial site, stating it feels like "a death in the family".
Mr Murray, who was born in Lake Bolac and still lives in the area, told The Standard he returned home from New South Wales on Sunday when he saw the arrangement had been bulldozed or graded into a pile.
"I just couldn't believe it," he said.
"I got straight on the phone and started furiously ringing people."
Mr Murray said there were a handful of meetings held over the last five or six years in an attempt to advance a case that the area be given to an Aboriginal body to manage.
"We've had grave fears for a long time that it could stop being protected properly," he said.
Mr Murray said elders of the Eastern Maar Aboriginal Corporation were now keeping a watch on the site.
"I'm just in disbelief and devastated that anyone could do this and want to to do it and fail to appreciate the exquisite and extraordinary creation that it is," he said
"We don't know very much about it at all but just one glance at the immense scale and plan of it from the area, as detailed in a 1990 document, is just a beautiful thing.
"I've shown many Aboriginal people this site, even people from northern Australia and all over, and they've always been very impressed with it."
Mr Murray said about 20 people gathered at the site late on Monday.
"You've got to understand that it's gut-churning." he said.
"It's another knife in the guts. We like to think we can have some things preserved in the land."
Mr Murray, who has been heavily involved in the Lake Bolac Eel Festival, said he hoped "public support would force authorities to take decisive action to protect what remains".
"I hope it can be restored, although I know it will not be an easy path," he said.
"Otherwise it will just be untenable for me to stay here. It will just be too hard. It's like a death in the family that's how it feels".
An Aboriginal Victoria statement said the body was "aware of allegations of harm to an Aboriginal site known as the Kuyang Stone Arrangement in south-west Victoria".
"We are working with the Registered Aboriginal Party - Eastern Maar Aboriginal Corporation - to investigate these allegations," the statement said.
"It is an offence to cause harm to Aboriginal cultural heritage under the Aboriginal Heritage Act and substantial penalties can apply."
Earlier, Monday 4pm: An ancient and sacred Indigenous site at Lake Bolac has been "irreparably damaged", a former long-time Framlingham Aboriginal Trust administrator says.
Geoff Clark said he was "devastated" to hear the Kuyang (eel) stone alignment had been destroyed some time over the Easter long weekend.
The basalt stones are arranged in two lines and are said to resemble a giant eel.
The stones varied in size from about 30cm to 150cm, with some possibly having been embedded in holes in the ground so as to make them stand upright.
Mr Clark said parts of the alignment had been "maliciously destroyed".
"This will have some serious implications," he said.
"We're concerned that if we don't form some sort of vigil, the rest of it will be destroyed."
Mr Clark said the Kuyang stone alignment was a "significant and ceremonial ground where people celebrated the eels of Kuyang".
"It's linked to Lake Bolac and the true salt creek that goes into Hopkins River. This is part of the eel dreaming stories."
Mr Clark said the site was also linked to the sacred Djap Wurrung trees, which were demolished to make way for the Western Highway near Ararat.
"The potential loss is the same," he said.
"It's a very important cultural story that's not only been destroyed by cutting down those deeply spiritual trees but now also a more serious assault on a ceremonial ground at Lake Bolac."
Mr Clark told The Standard he was on his way to the site to see the damage.
"I am pretty devastated," he said.
"This is a part of the landscape and the cultural integrity of the place. The fact that people can just blatantly go out and destroy a site that's been heritage listed since the 1908s is staggering."
Mr Clark said it was another "kick in the guts" for Indigenous people, siting the destruction of a 46,000-year-old Aboriginal site by mining company Rio Tinto in Western Australia last year.
"The (Lake Bolac) site is potentially older than that site and equally as significant," he said.
The Standard contacted Lake Bolac police who said any criminal damage at the site had not been reported.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
- Bookmark https://www.standard.net.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Tap here to open our Google News page.
- Join our Courts and Crime Facebook group and our dedicated Sport Facebook group.
- If you have subscribed, join our subscriber-only Facebook group.
Listen to the latest episode of our weekly podcast The Booletin and Beyond: