QUICK-thinking staff at a Warrnambool day spa stopped the business from potentially catching ablaze from an electrical fire, emergency services say.
Warrnambool fire station senior officer Michael Doreian said a staff member at the Logans Beach business was by chance locking up on Wednesday night when they stumbled upon flames and smoke coming from a power point.
"It was sheer luck a staff member walked into this section to check everything was locked and noticed the power point was on fire and raised the alarm," Mr Doreian said.
"The staff tackled the fire with a dry chemical fire extinguisher, which was a fantastic effort by them."
He said an extension lead connected to a power board servicing two dryers had likely caused the power point to ignite.
Firefighters used voltage detective equipment to ensure the electricity was isolated and then used a thermal imaging heat camera to check the area had cooled.
"It's a big pat on the back for the staff, they've done a fantastic job," Mr Doreian said.
"But it's also a timely reminder for residents not to attach multiple electrical items off power boards or double adapters. Use a separate power-board point for each one.
"It was actual flame and in a wall so the plaster wall lining and surrounding lining would have gone up, then potentially moved into the roof.
"They are very, very lucky. If they hadn't discovered it we would be there now with half a dozen trucks."
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.