MELBOURNE Renegades mentor Michael Klinger says strategic decisions in coming weeks will determine if Brody Couch secures his Big Bash League debut.
Klinger, who held the record for most runs scored in the Twenty20 tournament when he retired in 2019, said Couch had impressed coaches with his commitment to the cause.
Couch, a Nirranda export, was added to the Renegades' squad as a local replacement player for Marcus Harris in December.
It capped a whirlwind year for the emerging quick, who signed his first professional contract as a rookie with Victoria in August.
(It's on) whether we go spin-heavy or add a few quicks to that. If there is an opportunity, he may get a game.Michael Klinger on Brody Couch
Klinger said tactics would determine if Couch was to debut in one of the club's final five fixtures.
"It probably depends a bit on our makeup going into the last five games," he told The Standard.
"(It's on) whether we go spin-heavy or add a few quicks to that. If there is an opportunity, he may get a game.
"If he doesn't in this tournament, this development period is going to be huge for him going forward."
Klinger said Couch's dedication over the festive period had been first-class.
"His progression has been unbelievable," he said.
"We gave him an opportunity to go home for a few days over Christmas break but he wanted to stay with the group.
"We flew his girlfriend over to make sure he had someone with him over Christmas.
"He's getting an opportunity to bowl to some of the best batters in the state and then around Australia.
"He's also getting to work with Michael Lewis who is one of the best bowling coaches in Australia. That'll be great for him and he's developing all the time."
The Renegades - anchored to the bottom of the ladder - have struggled for form in BBL10.
Their second triumph of the tournament, which came over Adelaide Strikers on Friday night, snapped an eight-game losing streak.
Klinger's side are currently in Adelaide and fly to Melbourne tomorrow in preparation for the state's first BBL10 clash of the season.
But Brisbane's three-day COVID-19 lockdown has cast doubt over the bout.
It's understood authorities are yet to make a formal decision on whether Brisbane Heat can enter Victoria ahead of Thursday night's clash at Marvel Stadium.
Klinger said on Monday the club was of the understanding the game would proceed as planned.
MORE TO COME
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.