Drivers are being warned that roadwork speed restrictions will be strictly enforced by police after a report of a motorist travelling at about 100km/h in a 40 zone on Tuesday morning.
Timboon police Senior Glenn McDuff said a report was received at 10am about a golden coloured Toyota sedan flying through the road works 40km/h zone on the Warrnambool-Cobden Road near Ayresford Road.
Police were unable to locate the vehicle.
Senior Constable McDuff said there were roadworks being undertaken at numerous locations in both the Corangamite and Moyne shire council areas.
"We're warning drivers that we will be patrolling those areas," he said.
"They will certainly be a focus after that report of the speeding vehicle this morning. That's just a ridiculous speed.
"The road workers on those stretches of road deserve to feel safe.
"Those temporary speed restrictions are in place to ensure the safety of workers and the speed limits will be strictly enforced."
A Warrnambool highway patrol unit spokesman said unit officers had been booking drivers in road work areas across the region.
"We've been getting people in 60km/h roadwork zones generally doing between 70 and 80km/h," he said.
"We've had nothing like a 100 in a 40 zone. That's just a crazy speed.
"We've been focusing on a number of sections of road works, in particular the Princes Highway works on the west side of Garvoc," he said.
Anyone who sees speeding or dangerous drivers is requested to contact police and, if possible, provide a description of the vehicle and the registration plate number.
Victoria Police is prepared for a flurry of traffic on regional roads during the next two weekends, as Melbournians get some respite from the city during the coronavirus pandemic and enjoy all of what regional Victoria has to offer.
Victoria Police last week launching an additional statewide operation to try and curb bad driver behaviour.
Operation Compass comes at a critical time for Victorians, with thousands of drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists, new P-platers, caravanners and truck drivers anticipated to share the road as they head off on a well-deserved break.
The operation started last weekend and will be in full swing for the next two weekends, between midnight Thursday through until midnight Sunday
Police will be targeting the fatal five - speeding, drink and drug driving, people not wearing seatbelts, mobile phone use and fatigue.
With restaurants, pubs and wineries open for service, the community has been assured police will be out conducting both PBTs and drug tests to get dangerous drivers off the roads.
Drivers heading to popular coastal locations are urged to look out for pedestrians and cyclists around busy parks and beaches.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.