Update, 3.10pm: Greater Geelong has been cleared of coronavirus on Tuesday as most of the south-west region remains coronavirus-free.
Colac Otway has one active case and Greater Bendigo and Ballarat have no active cases.
There is one case in Horsham, and zero in Warrnambool, Moyne, Glenelg, Corangamite, Surf Coast, Southern Grampians, Moorabool and Golden Plains.
On Tuesday Deputy Premier James Merlino replaced new Health Minister Martin Foley's former position as Mental Health Minister, in addition to his current Education portfolio.
Member for Western Metropolitan Region Ingrid Stitt has been sworn in as the state's new Minister for Workplace Safety and Early Childhood.
Victoria has recorded 10 new cases of coronavirus since yesterday, with the total number of cases now at 20,158.
The overall total has increased by nine due to one case being reclassified.
Three of today's 10 new cases have been linked to known outbreaks or complex cases. One is linked to aged care (Embracia Moonee Valley) and two are linked to health services (Western Health and Monash Health). The other seven cases remain under investigation.
Of today's 10 new cases, there are two cases in Casey, Monash and Moreland and single cases in Hobsons Bay, Knox, Moonee Valley and Wyndham.
The total number of cases from an unknown source in the last 14 days is 27 for metropolitan Melbourne and zero for regional Victoria.
In Victoria at the current time:
- 4273 cases may indicate community transmission - a decrease of one since yesterday
- 326 cases are currently active in Victoria
- 46 cases of coronavirus are in hospital, including five in intensive care
- 18,978 people have recovered from the virus
- A total of 2,677,022 test results have been received which is an increase of 8,226 since yesterday.
Of the 326 current active cases in Victoria:
- 320 are in metropolitan Melbourne under the Second Step of our roadmap
- Six are in regional local government areas under the Third Step of our roadmap
- 0 are interstate residents
- 0 are either unknown or subject to further investigation
No new coronavirus cases in regional Victoria
Earlier, 11am: NO new coronavirus cases have been recorded in regional Victoria overnight for the second day in a row.
Premier Daniel Andrews said there were now just six active cases of the virus across regional Victoria, a decrease of three on yesterday.
"That is a fantastic number and one every regional Victorian will be proud of, that's a function of getting tested and following rules," he said.
"We are closer to getting all of Victoria on the same footing.
"We are well placed to take an even more substantial step on the 18th or 19th of October."
Victoria has recorded 10 new cases of coronavirus and seven more deaths, bringing the state's death toll to 794 and the national figure to 882.
The new infections, confirmed by the Department of Health and Human Services on Tuesday, brings Melbourne's 14-day average to 18.2 and regional Victoria's to 0.6.
Of the deaths overnight: one man was in his 60s, on woman in her 70s, two women and two men in their 80s and one man and one woman in their 90s.
Six of those deaths are linked to aged care.
There are 46 Victorians in hospital, five are in intensive care and four are on ventilators.
There have been more than 2.67 million test results processed in Victoria, an increase of 8326 since yesterday, which the Premier said was "solid" but not high enough.
Of the 326 active cases in Victoria, three are linked to known outbreaks and complex cases, seven are under investigation and one has been reclassified.
There are 158 active cases in aged care and two in disability facilities and are both staff members.
Premier Daniel Andrews said as of September 28 no new cases were awaiting interview and just under 80 per cent of interviews had been conducted within four hours by the public health team, and no close contacts were awaiting notification.
"This shows when health services are not overwhelmed by literally thousands of cases they are in a position to respond even more quickly, this should give every Victorian confidence that it will serve us to continue to open up," he said.
"Whether it's Hallam, Colac or the Latrobe Valley, they are pulling up outbreaks where that might not have been the case."
The Premier clarified learner drivers in metropolitan Melbourne can practice driving if out for one of the four reasons, but cannot go solely for driving practice.
Weddings have no limit when it comes to the five kilometre restriction but metropolitan residents can't travel to regional Victoria for a wedding, unless they are a celebrant and are working.
Only outdoor pools are open in step two in metropolitan Melbourne.
Metropolitan Melbourne residents can travel across the border into regional Victoria for childcare purposes but the restrictions will follow them.
"You should not travel unless you need to," Premier Andrews said.
"Any movement of that nature potentially takes the virus from Melbourne into regional Victoria.
"Police have stepped up efforts at the checkpoints and there's a much more significant fine if found in regional Victoria when unlawful to be there.
"There is so much at stake, unless you absolutely have to go please don't go because there's a risk you are taking the virus with you."
The Premier said health experts have found indoor environments are "20 times more dangerous" than outdoor environments when it comes to spreading the virus.
"I am proud of restaurateurs, publicans, and cafes, if the advice says indoor dining is safe then I'm sure everyone in the sector will rise to those COVID safe challenges," he said.
"I don't want them open to have them close again."
The average needs to drop below five and there must be fewer than five mystery cases for a fortnight before the state eases further restrictions for metropolitan Melbourne.
Under step three, the five-kilometre limit will be scrapped, shops will be able to reopen and cafes and restaurants will be able to seat diners.
Originally, the earliest date the metropolitan region could move to step three was October 26.
But authorities will work on a minimum three-week gap between stages, meaning that date has been brought forward to October 19.
The following step on Victoria's road map out of restrictions requires zero new cases in the community for more than 14 days.
But Premier Daniel Andrews insists suppression, not eradication, remains Victoria's coronavirus goal.
It comes after his former health minister Jenny Mikakos tweeted: "We are well on the way to eradication."
"I have answered this question many, many times. That is not the strategy. The strategy is to suppress this virus and that's the National Cabinet decision," Mr Andrews told reporters on Monday.
Mr Andrews also revealed he has yet to speak to Ms Mikakos since her resignation on Saturday.
She dramatically quit after the premier told the hotel quarantine inquiry that her department was ultimately responsible for the botched quarantine program.
Ms Mikakos blamed Mr Andrews' statement for her resignation in a scathing letter posted on Twitter.
Closing submissions were heard at the inquiry on Monday ahead of its report, due on November 6.
The inquiry was told that the disastrous quarantine program was responsible for 768 coronavirus deaths and more than 18,000 infections.
Australian Associated Press
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.