A Killarney woman hopes she won't have to wait too much longer for surgery.
Bec Delaney was waiting to get her category two urgent procedure for a bleeding ovarian cyst when the state government suspended elective surgery due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Mrs Delaney has now been waiting for eight months for the surgery to ease the constant pain.
The division one nurse said at times the pain was so bad she struggled to walk.
Mrs Delaney said she was relieved the state government had announced elective surgeries would recommence, but she hoped there was not a huge backlog.
"I hope I don't have to wait another eight months," she said.
On Wednesday Premier Daniel Andrews said important elective surgeries at regional public and private hospitals could resume this week.
The plan will see regional Victoria increase to 75 per cent of usual elective surgery activity initially and 85 per cent from September 28.
All Victorian hospitals will move to 100 per cent of usual activity when the state moves to the last step to COVID Normal, planned for November 23.
This plan will allow for around approximately 18,750 additional elective surgeries across private and public hospitals in October.
It will also allow for an extra 10,500 surgeries in November, Mr Andrews said.
"We will also reinstate the elective surgery blitz as soon as it is safe to do so to catch up on the backlog to make sure we get as many patients into theatres as possible," he said.
"Specialist clinic consultations will increase in line with elective surgery activity and telehealth will continue to be utilised where possible to reduce face-to-face consultations."
"We know this has been an anxious time for many Victorians whose surgery is delayed, but we'll catch up on the backlog as quickly as possible and ensure those who need it most are prioritised.
"We've acted on the public health advice and think it's safest and best way forward - so Victorians can get the surgery they need and stay safe from the coronavirus."
Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said Victorians had worked hard to get the coronavirus case numbers down.
"It's because of their hard work and sacrifices that we're now able to safely resume more elective surgery, so that more patients can get the care they need."
A number of other people commented on a Facebook post about the state government announcing the return of elective surgeries, saying they too had been waiting many months to undergo a procedure.
Listen to the latest episode of our weekly episode The Booletin and Beyond:
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.