Some south-west hospitality businesses were left confused after the state government's coronavirus restrictions announcement on Tuesday.
Eateries will have individual density limits, table service-only options and a time limit of two-hour bookings Under step three of the roadmap to 'COVID Normal'.
Indoor service venues can only open two seating spaces with a cap of 10 seated patrons per space subject to a one person per four-square-metres density rule.
Outdoor service venues have a cap of 50 seated patrons subject to density requirements of one person per two-square-metres rule.
Bohemia owner Steve Hickman said the 10-person limit would be difficult for his business.
"We like the idea of opening up and we're excited to welcome people back but we have hesitations," Mr Hickman said.
"With only 10 people inside, we're going to have to create certain restrictions on how long people can dine.
"The number of patrons is too low but we'll still do it and we'll look at our footpath seating and what we're allowed to do there.
"Outdoor dining will boost our numbers but that will be dependant on Warrnambool having good weather for the next six months. We want to meet our customers' expectations and to continue offering a great service to them."
Mr Hickman said the cafe's takeaway options would continue as the service had played a vital role since the beginning of the pandemic.
Images Restaurant owner Jonathon Dodwell has mixed emotions about the number of patrons allowed in indoor venues under the third step.
"It's disappointing the numbers are so low; 10 is neither here nor there, we really needed 20," he said.
"Having 10 people isn't much of a help as there needs to be a hell of a lot more done to make it viable. We need to get the capacity up to 50 soon.
"Hopefully it won't be too long and then we'll be able to up the numbers again.
"We're looking forward to opening the doors and our phone has been going red hot already."
Mr Dodwell seconded Mr Hickman's words that takeaway services had been a key factor in keeping staff on and business operational.
"Takeaway is an important part of the business," he said. "I don't think it will drop off and we'll continue offering it for the foreseeable future.
"I've had an excellent reaction from people, they're been really happy to get our meals exactly the same but delivered to their homes.
"I was lucky to be in a position where we'd offered takeaway for 15 years, all we had to do when COVID hit was put more cars on the road."
Star of the West Hotel in Port Fairy was hopeful it would re-open with the new restrictions.
But a spokeswoman for the pub said if similar restrictions stayed in place for the summer it would prove challenging.
"If we can't open up properly and have bands it'll be hard," she said. "We'll be like a restaurant except we've got more overheads.
"It's better than not being able to serve people at all. It could be worse."
She said the business had been closed since the second lockdown came in.
"There was no point doing takeaways," she said. "I just hope it gets better by Christmas which is probably what everyone says."
Mickey Bourke's Koroit Hotel owners Bruce and Wendy Murley welcomed the announcement but were awaiting further instructions to see what options they had.
"It sounds promising but we need to wait until we've gone over the finer details," Mrs Murley said.
Listen to the latest episode of our weekly episode The Booletin and Beyond:
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.