Victoria has recorded an alarming new high, with 723 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in the past 24 hours.
Sadly, there were a further 13 deaths, taking the total death toll to 105.
Premier Daniel Andrews made the grim announcement at a press conference on Thursday morning and said there would be further restrictions in regional Victoria.
From 11.59pm tonight there will be no visitors allowed to people's homes in the Colac Otway, Greater Geelong, Surf Coast, Moorabool, Golden Plains and Borough of Queenscliff council areas.
Masks will also be mandatory across Victoria from 11.59pm on Sunday night.
"A face covering will be mandatory whenever you leave home - and wherever you live," Mr Andrews said.
"I understand this will a big step for some. But by covering your face, you're protecting your community, and protecting those extra freedoms your community enjoys.
"By covering your face, you're keeping local businesses open, and keeping local people in work."
Mr Andrews thanked Victorians who were doing the right thing.
"This is one of the biggest challenges our state has faced. And yet, really, we're all being asked to make the smallest of sacrifices," he said.
"By not seeing your mate, you might be saving their life. By not hugging your mum, you might be keeping her alive. And by covering your face, you're contributing to the safety of every single Victorian. Day by day, decision by decision - we can get on top of this. But we need your help."
The worst previous day for deaths was Sunday, when 10 people were confirmed to have died from the virus.
The new record swamps the previous daily high of 532 on Monday.
There are now 5385 active cases in the state and 255 in regional Victoria.
The worrying high drowns out two days of positive signs, after 295 new cases were confirmed on Wednesday and 384 on Tuesday.
Yesterday there was 54 active cases in the Colac Otway Shire, six in Glenelg Shire, and one in Warrnambool.
The local government area figures for today are expected later this afternoon.
South West Healthcare chief executive Craig Fraser said there was one case linked to the Colac cluster who was isolating in Warrnambool.
Mr Fraser said two people from the small Portland cluster admitted to the Warrnambool Base Hospital had returned home, while there was a third patient linked to the same cluster who remained at the hospital.
"It's pleasing to report both of those people were able to return home and will be continuing to isolate until such a point when the department of health releases them," he said.
On Wednesday Western District Health Service chief executive Rohan Fitzgerald said, off the back of a positive case in Southern Grampians Shire, he had been unable to verify if the person resided in the area.
"We recognise there are some deficiencies with the DHHS COVID-19 system for notifying local communities of positive COVID-19 cases," he said.
"There are a number of reasons this occurs, which includes people being tested in a local government area outside of the LGA where they would normally reside. For example, a person that is tested while they are living in Melbourne, but lists their address as the Southern Grampians Shire.
"I understand this lack of clarity creates anxiety in the community and as we progress through the pandemic, we will be working with DHHS to improve communication to ensure that our community is well-informed about local COVID-19 cases.
"I want to reassure the community, that (as we have done in the past), where a case is detected through the WDHS drive thru clinic, we will be as transparent as we can be, while also respecting the privacy of those who test positive for the virus."
The Hamilton-based health service reported a positive case at its drive through clinic on Sunday.
The Horsham Rural City resident presented at the clinic the previous Thursday.
They did not enter the Hamilton Base Hospital and were referred to the Department of Health and Human Services contact tracing team. They did not exit their vehicle in Hamilton.
Moyne Health Services continues to screen residents, despite Moyne having zero cases in the municipality.
There were 295 new cases and nine deaths confirmed in Victoria on Wednesday morning.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.