With council elections just around the corner, Warrnambool city is urging prospective candidates to register for online information sessions.
The sessions are being held by the council in partnership with the Municipal Association of Victoria on August 26 and 27.
The council's acting chief executive officer Vikki King said that the free sessions would be a helpful introduction to local government for all potential candidates, particularly for first-time candidates.
"We strongly recommend participating in these sessions which will have an MAV facilitator and advice provided by a regional city CEO," she said.
"Candidates should also be aware there will be mandatory information sessions offered by Local Government Victoria with these details to be announced next week."
The online sessions offered through the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) will cover:
- the role and purpose of local government;
- the new Local Government Act 2020;
- introduction to your council and information on the municipal area;
- roles, responsibilities and expectations of a councillor;
- the experience of being a councillor; and,
- The electoral process and campaigning including key dates and information provided by the
- Victorian Electoral Commission.
"In order to participate in one of the MAV sessions you must first register," Ms King said.
All the session details are available at www.warrnambool.vic.gov.au/standing-council-2020
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.