UPDATE, 3.40pm: Metropolitan school holidays will be extended for an additional week Premier Daniel Andrews says, with further information to come in a second media conference this afternoon.
Metropolitan Year 11 and 12 students along with specialist schools and regional Victorian schools will return for Term 3 on Monday.
Victorian police will install hard blocks between metropolitan Melbourne and regional areas on major thoroughfare roads to stop people from travelling.
Mr Andrews said these hard blocks would not stop every car, but work to a booze-bus style and stop cars sporadically.
UPDATE, 3.30pm: Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has confirmed the record 191 new cases of coronavirus across the state overnight as the total now reaches 2824.
Mr Andrews said 154 cases were under investigation while 37 were linked with nine known outbreaks.
From midnight on Wednesday night, metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire will be subject to stage 3 restrictions where there are only four reasons to be out:
- shopping for what you need - food and essential supplies
- medical, care or compassionate needs
- exercise in compliance with the public gathering requirements
- work and study if you can't work or learn remotely
Mr Andrews said the spike in coronavirus cases across the state was "unsustainably high" and that it was necessary to take "very, very difficult steps" to contain and suppress the virus.
"This is not over...(but) we do have a chance to change that," he said.
UPDATE, 3pm: Moyne Health Services is encouraging Port Fairy residents to travel to Warrnambool's South West Healthcare to get tested for coronavirus.
Moyne Health chief executive Jackie Kelly said the two health services had been working closely together since the initial outbreak of the virus in March.
"We will not be offering a respiratory clinic at Moyne Health as South West Healthcare has the expertise here," Ms Kelly said.
"If a need arises in Port Fairy, South West Healthcare will consider a pop up clinic here.
"I encourage people to keep safe, socially distance, wash their hands and see their GP or go to the respiratory clinic if they have symptoms."
Ms Kelly confirmed the family of four who holidayed in Port Fairy last week and tested positive to coronavirus were not screened at Moyne Health Services.
Hampden and District Football and Netball League's Port Fairy club has suspended all training for its junior sides amid the coronavirus scare for the town.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews will address the state's coronavirus situation at 3.15pm.
UPDATE, 1.40pm: The Department of Health and Human Services has confirmed a daily record 191 new cases of coronavirus across Victoria overnight with the state's total now reaching 2824.
Four new cases of coronavirus have been connected to Port Fairy where a family of four holidayed for three days last week before cutting their trip short after discovering a close family member had the virus.
Victoria's chief health office Brett Sutton has urged people to follow the restrictions.
"This virus is not selective - it will impact anyone it encounters, and personal contact is the clear source of its transmission," he said.
"We need everyone to do their part and ensure it is stopped in its tracks."
The state government is expected to make an announcement later today on the state's coronavirus situation.
July 7, 12.30pm: A family of four who tested positive to coronavirus holidayed in Port Fairy last week.
Moyne Shire Mayor Daniel Meade said the council was assisting the accommodation business where the family stayed.
"Council is aware that a family of four who visited Port Fairy for three days last week have returned home where they have tested positive for COVID-19," he said.
"The family did the right thing, cutting their holiday short after being told a close family member in Melbourne had a confirmed case of the virus. They immediately returned to their home, which is not a hotspot suburb, and got tested.
"All four members of the family, two adults and two children, were asymptomatic while in Port Fairy. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has advised that as they were not showing any symptoms, the risk of community transmission is low.
"Further details of where the family visited while in Port Fairy are not yet known and will be part of the DHHS investigation and contact tracing."
The council is working with DHHS, South West Healthcare, Victoria Police and Moyne Health.
Moyne Health Services chief executive Jackie Kelly said the hospital was undertaking plans to ensure the community's safety.
The last positive coronavirus test in the south-west was recorded more than 13 weeks ago.
Sources suggest it will be another record day for positive coronavirus cases in Victoria with the number expected to be about 190.
As of July 6 the total number of coronavirus cases in Victoria was 2,660, an increase of 127 new cases.
Positive test numbers are a result from people who picked up the infection a week or so ago.
It will take another cycle of the virus' incubation period - two weeks - to see if there has been any impact on the spread
New South Wales will follow South Australia's decision and close its border to Victoria at 11.59pm on Tuesday.
The total number of confirmed cases for the Greater Bendigo region is 10 with one active case in the local government area. Meanwhile, the Albury-Wodonga region has recorded three positive cases.
Listen to the latest episode of our weekly episode The Booletin and Beyond:
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.