THOUSANDS of infrared thermometers are on their way to key holiday spots in time for the school holidays, including along the Great Ocean Road.
Councils across the region, including Warrnambool, Corangamite and Moyne, will also receive the thermometers in the next few days.
About 4800 thermometers have been sent to holiday locations, and pop-up coronavirus testing clinics will be established at Lorne and Apollo Bay, and in the alps at Falls Creek, Mount Hotham and Mount Buller.
Accommodation providers with communal facilities and with an expected increase in school holiday visitation, including caravan parks, will be given priority access to them.
Warrnambool City Council city growth director Andrew Paton said accommodation providers were "moderately" booked for the school holidays.
"The cabins at our caravan parks are just about all booked and for camping setups with communal facilities we will have to increase our cleaning regime," he said.
"The key message is that you can travel, but if you're unwell don't."
Surfside Holiday Park bookings are down slightly from last year but has strong levels of bookings for cabins, many at short notice.
The visitor information centre and Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village will open on Saturday for its school holiday program.
Warrnambool Best Western Olde Maritime owner Raj Patel said he had about 23 per cent occupancy.
"There are a few people staying two or three nights from Melbourne but it's not as strong as last year," he said.
"The June long weekend we were full but after the Premier said restaurants were not opening to 50 people I think people became scared to travel, I've had a number of cancellations since that announcement."
Port Fairy's council caravan parks are gearing up for holidaymakers to roll in and give some sense of normality to July bookings.
Gardens Caravan Park's self-contained accommodation is up about 30 per cent on last year's bookings for the school holidays, while camping sites are at similar levels to 2019.
Moyne Shire chief executive Bill Millard said the council discouraged visitors from hotspot areas or people feeling unwell from visiting the park.
"We continue to follow the guidelines of the state government, which currently allows unrestricted travel within Victoria," he said.
But bookings are still well down at the town's Seacombe House which is at about 30 per cent capacity for the July holidays, manager Christine Roeger said.
"We are starting to get some cancellations too because of what's happening in Melbourne," Ms Roeger said.
"People need to be careful and aware and do the right thing ... it is just human nature to be afraid."
She said while the loss of international visitors was behind most of the slump, regional Victorians made up most of the holidaymakers in the motel.
"We are getting a local domestic market within only a three-hour radius. Like Horsham, Hamilton, Bendigo," Ms Roeger said.
"We are still way down on last year's bookings, but we are getting a steady flow come in."
The Twelve Apostles viewing areas have reopened again to a maximum of 280 visitors at one time.
Once capacity is met, entry to the site will be temporarily halted to manage visitor numbers. Vehicles will be permitted to enter as other vehicles leave.
Parks Victoria staff will be at the park entry to monitor vehicle numbers, however warn there may be lengthy delays.
The kiosk and visitor centre at the Twelve Apostles visitor site will remain closed.
Great Ocean Road Regional Tourism manager Liz Price said bookings along the road were slow.
"Early signs show it's a much quieter school holidays than normal," she said.
"We are seeing a preference for holiday homes where people can be self-contained and slower uptake for motels."
Last year ending June 30 the Great Ocean Road saw 2.6 million domestic overnight trips and 3.7 million day trips.
Princetown Recreation Reserve president Darren Blaine said the committee made the decision to close the reserve to campers until the virus threat decreased.
"Due to the outbreak we hold the safety and well-being of the community and campers as first priority and we can't rely on self-assessment so decided to close," he said.
"We think people should heed the advice and stay put."
Port Campbell Recreation reserve president Michael Walsh said they would be open to campers, but would not be allowing any from the six identified hot spots, including Casey and Cardinia.
"As long as people do the right thing we are happy to have them," he said.
"We won't take anybody from those identified areas at this stage, we don't want a family coming down and then we see a cluster in Port Campbell."
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.