With the easing of coronavirus restrictions, south-west police have warned there will be a renewed focus on road safety.
In the first three months of the year there were seven fatalities on south-west roads, the last a 46-year-old Warrnambool motorcyclist at Bushfield on March 30.
That followed fatal accidents at Woorndoo, Allansford, Macarthur, Noorat, Dennington and at Henry Court in Hamilton.
The Victorian road toll currently stands at 95 fatalities after a single-vehicle accident near Bendigo on Wednesday. At the same time last year 126 people had died on the state's roads.
Acting south-west Road safety adviser Senior Sergeant Ryan Nelson said the coronavirus restriction ease on overnight stays from Monday was expected to see a large number of Victorians on the move.
"We are likely to see a hell of a lot more cars and caravans back on the roads," he said.
"People can stay overnight and most of the national and state parks are going to be open so there is the opportunity for people to travel.
"After such a long enforced break we're expecting to see a lot more traffic on the region's roads."
Senior Sergeant Nelson warned drivers that travel times could be significantly longer that they had been in the past two months.
"We're asking that people be patient, we want that to be the new normal," he said.
"People will be on the move to those popular tourists spots like the Great Ocean Road, Halls Gap and Portland district, such as Cape Bridgewater or to go tuna fishing," he said.
"Travellers can expect there will be large numbers of people on the roads, especially for the Queens Birthday long weekend."
Statewide police Operation Regal is running between Friday, June 5 and Monday June 8.
The road safety chief said all available officers would be involved in the operation with a renewed focus on road policing after a period of social isolating.
"There will be road blocks across the south-west targeting unregistered vehicles and unlicensed drivers," Senior Sergeant Ryan said.
"Portland, Hamilton and Warrnambool highway patrols have automatic licence plate recognition technology and large numbers of vehicles will be checked.
"The coronavirus pandemic has obviously kept people at home and has allowed us to have a very welcome reduction in road trauma - we want that to be the new normal."
Senior Sergeant Nelson said there would also be a focus on the individual intercept of vehicles for routine alcohol and drug testing.
"Mobile patrols will target speed and driver distraction, in particular drivers using mobile phones," he said.
"We also have plenty of flexibility in rostering so there will be a visible police presence on the roads at all times of the day and night."
Police continue to warn drivers there are five main road trauma contributing factors - speed, distraction, fatigue, wearing seatbelts and impaired driving (alcohol and/or drugs).
The risks are believed to be contributing factors in all the fatal deaths which have happened on south-west roads this year.
Listen to the latest episode of our weekly episode The Booletin and Beyond:
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.