Simpson residents were issued with a health warning after a haystack caught on fire Tuesday afternoon.
Paul Parsell, captain of the Simpson CFA, said the blaze started about 3.40pm.
He said the haystack was in a paddock and didn't damage any infrastructure.
Mr Parsell said the fire was believed to have been a result of spontaneous combustion.
"There was a lot of smoke so we issued a smoke warning," he said.
An excavator was used to pull apart the haystack and more than 10 volunteers stayed onsite until about 6.30pm.
Mr Parsell said volunteers would visit the property today to ensure the blaze had not reignited.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.