The Reid Oval redevelopment has blown out by $500,000 it was revealed on Monday as Warrnambool councillors backed new plans that would demolish East Warrnambool football club facilities.
There are plans to bring the project back within the $11 million budget under the new designs which shelve the original two-storey proposal in favour of a single-story pavilion with a larger footprint.
That means the East Warrnambool Football Netball Club social rooms, kiosk and part of the tiered seating will have to go.
Monday's meeting was told that the East Warrnambool club was not happy with the concept plans, but the design had the backing of all other user groups.
Cr Sue Cassidy said that having the pavilion on one level was great for all-abilities access.
Crs Cassidy, Robert Anderson, Kylie Gaston and Peter Hulin voted in favour of the concept plan. Cr Mike Neoh declared a conflict of interest and didn't vote, while mayor Tony Herbert and Cr David Owen were not at the meeting.
Cr Hulin said people would be happy that there was finally work being done on the project.
He said the facility had been let go. "It's quite staggering to think a city of our size and importance to the area has been in this position that our oval needs so much work on so many levels," he said.
Cr Cassidy said while the design was varied from the scope of the original one, it would be "the best result that we can actually get".
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.