TWO Kings Burgers copped more than a flame grilling when a fire broke out in the restaurant kitchen last night.
Three firetrucks turned out to douse the blaze after security guards saw flames through the door of the closed Liebig Street business just after 11pm on Friday night.
Warrnambool CFA Senior Station Officer Troy Cleverley said the damage was contained to the kitchen.
"The fire was in the kitchen around the area of the grill," he said.
"Crews on scene had to force entry through the front door as the premises was closed and locked up at the time.
"They used dry chemical powder extinguishers to put the fire out."
Officer Cleverley said the damage was minimal.
"There will be a fair bit of cleanup due to the dry powder being discharged into a commercial kitchen," he said.
"Generally speaking any fire in a commercial kitchen has to be inspected and signed off by a council health surveyor."
Two Kings owner Travis Owen said they hoped to reopen on Sunday.
Thanks to Warrnambool emergency services a disaster was averted.Travis Owen
"It was an equipment issue and thanks to Warrnambool emergency services a disaster was averted," he said.
"We will be back up and running tomorrow."
Smoke from the Two Kings fire spread into neighbouring Images Restaurant.
Front of house manager Stacy Mark said they had a function on at the time as crews moved to ventilate the premises.
"Last night we had function downstairs and staff member down there could smell the smoke, but at first they thought it was cigarette smoke," she said.
"Then it got worse and worse, it got quite hazy and we couldn't work out what it was.
"Next thing we knew someone came over and it went from there.
"There's still a hint of smoke here today so we've opened every single door to get it out.
"It was scary, we're a family down this end of town so we'll do anything to help each other out."
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.