The case against a player who broke a teenager's jaw during a senior South West District Football League match has been adjourned for seven weeks.
William Pickett, 28, of Griffith Street, Heywood, is contesting in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court one charge of recklessly causing injury.
He is accused of striking then 17-year-old Sam Lambevski during a match between Heathmere and Branxholme-Wallacedale on July 28 last year.
Lambevski, now 18, suffered a broken jaw and cheekbone.
Lawyer Michael Kats made a 'no case' submission on Wednesday, stating the prosecution had failed to disprove that Pickett had acted in self-defence.
He also said there was insufficient evidence his client caused an injury to Lambevski, as opposed to the victim being injured during a separate melee.
But, after consideration, magistrate Mark Stratmann said the accused had a case to answer.
Mr Kats will call three witnesses when the hearing resumes in Portland Magistrates Court on October 29.
A fourth defence witness, a spectator, was dismissed after she failed to abide by a court order to remain outside during the proceedings.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.