UPDATE, 1.45pm: A gel pet bed warmer is believed to have ignited a fire in a Otway Road home in Warrnambool.
Warrnambool fire brigade station officer Paul Curran said the alarm was raised soon after 12.20pm.
"The fire was confined to one room, the lounge room. It was a small fire but there was a considerable amount of smoke damage," he said.
"The occupant of the home was at work, so we had to force entry to the house, extinguish the fire and then handed over the scene to the police and the occupant."
Neighbor Baz Law said three small dogs were able to get out of the home.
"They were able to get out their escape hatch and they're at my place now," he said.
"They must have left pretty quick because they don't even smell of smoke," he said.
Officer Curran said it was essential that everyone had a working smoke alarm in their home.
"Once again we've seen the value of working smoke alarms. Only working smoke alarms save lives," he said.
At 12.50pm: A fire in an Otway Road home in Warrnambool has been quickly extinguished.
Warrnambool fire brigade commander Greg Kinross said five appliance responded to a fire alarm in Otway Road soon after 12.20pm.
"There was a fire in a house that has been quickly knocked down," he said.
"The cause is still being determined and details have yet to be made clear while the fire brigade members respond to the situation," he said.
At 12.36pm: Fire fighters are currently attending a situation in an Otway Road home in Warrnambool.
Five brigade units have attended and are currently assessing the situation in a house just east of the railway overpass.
A hose has been run into a house from a truck after the alarm was raised soon after 12.20pm.
The area has been blocked off to members of the public.
More to come.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.