Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes (excluding overnight dry bake)
Part one - Beef tartare
Ingredients for four
- 250g beef strip loin, trimmed and cut into very small dice
- 4 tbsp very finely chopped red onion
- 2 pinches of Spanish sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp finely diced cornichons (pickled cucumbers)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Sea salt flakes
- Few drops of Tabasco, to taste
What you do
- Place the beef, onion, Tabasco sauce, paprika, cornichons, extra vrign olive oil, parsley and sea salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Serve in a bowl with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes, a drizzle of olive oil and serve with potato crisps.
Part two - Potato crisps with lemon salt
- 2 large potatoes (variety of your choice), peeled
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp caster sugar
What you do
- To make the lemon salt, combine the lemon zest and sugar on a baking tray lined with baking paper and dry in a fan forced oven on 60°C overnight. Add the fine sea salt and store until needed.
- Cut the potatoes lengthways into 1mm thick slices. Soak the potatoes in cold water for 10 minutes to remove the starch. Drain and pat dry completely.
- Deep-fry the potato slices at 170°C in batches, for 2 minutes turning regularly, until golden. Drain on paper towel and season with the lemon salt.
- If you prefer, tenderloin would also work well with this recipe. When choosing the cut of meat for tartare it is important to pick the freshest cut. If you are unsure your local butcher will be able to advise
- Cook the lemon zest until the zest feels like desiccated coconut and crumbles easily.
For more recipes like this visit australianbeef.com.au