A Warrnambool district man charged over the alleged rape of a woman at her home in April has been remanded in custody.
The 26-year-old man, who cannot be named because that would identify the victim, appeared in Warrnambool Magistrates Court on Friday where he applied for bail.
The man faces 10 charges, including intentionally and recklessly causing injury, threatening to inflict serious injury, three counts of rape, unlawful assault and making threats to kill.
Police allege he threatened to kill the victim and her family, strangled her with a leather belt and raped her at her home earlier this year.
Lawyer Matt Piknin said his client had already spent 95 days in custody and would contest the new charges.
Magistrate Mark Stratmann said the man was facing very serious allegations and had failed to show exceptional circumstances why he should be released on bail.
He remanded the accused in custody until August 15 for a committal mention hearing.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.