"Mum can you say: 'The early bird catches the worm?'"
That was 11-year-old Phin McClure repeating the 000 dispatcher's instructions on when his mum, Richelle, suffered stroke-like symptoms at their Hamilton home last March.
Phin and his brother Samuel were each awarded a Triple Zero Hero award on Thursday for the bravery they showed making the 000 call that would save their mum's life.
Richelle had been suffering a migraine earlier that day, and as the evening progressed her speech became impaired and she lost function to one side of her body.
She would later be diagnosed with a hemiplegic migraine.
Phin and Samuel were home with their mum and straight away made the call to 000.
The brothers followed the call-taker's instructions by performing a stroke test on their mum and relayed the information back while the ambulance was on the way.
The two brothers cared for their mum until help arrived.
"I'd had a bad headache that turned into a migraine and by the evening I couldn't talk properly, my mouth was drooping, my speech was very slurred and eventually my left leg became paralysed," Ms McClure said.
"When I got to that stage the boys knew it wasn't good and that something was really wrong.
"Phin rang 000 and did a fantastic job answering the questions, and Sam was by his side in the background the whole time also relaying information.
They just did such a good job, they were both so calm and were able to relay all the information.Richelle McClure
"They just did such a good job, they were both so calm and were able to relay all the information.
"I think it's important to do this story because so many kids out there don't know how to ring 000 and don't know what to do in emergencies.
"I've always taught the boys since they were really young, I always told them if something ever happens this is how you use the phone and ring 000."
After numerous tests, medics were able to determine that it was a hemiplegic migraine.
"It turns out it was a hemiplegic migraine, which is a rare nasty migraine that mimics a stroke, which is why they had to run through the whole stroke process," Ms McClure said.
"I couldn't walk, lift my head or open my eyes.
"It can take a few weeks to a few months for your body to get back to normal."
At Thursday's ceremony, Phin and Sam met the call operator Christen, who was there to congratulate them on their calmness in a very stressful situation.
"I think meeting the lady that took the call was the most memorable moment, putting a face to the voice," Samuel said.
Phin said he knew it was important to remain calm when he called 000.
He was surprised when he was told he was getting the award.
"I saw that she looked very unwell and that it was very serious," Phin said.
"I just knew the more calm I was the better it would be.
"I was pretty shocked because I thought I did what everyone else would do.
"I thought doing this was nothing special but it turns out that it is, and that we did a good job. So that made me feel happy, it made me feel confused, it's a bit of a mix of emotions."
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.