Ingredients for four
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons salted black beans (see notes)
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and cut into strips
- 750g squid, cleaned and sliced into strips
- 1 bunch baby bok choy, washed and halved
- 450g fresh egg noodles, blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes and drained
What you do
- Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, chicken stock and sugar and set aside until needed.
- Heat a wok until hot, add oil. Add garlic, ginger, black beans and red capsicum. Stir to combine. Add squid and stir-fry for 1 minute, tossing well. Add the sauce mixture, bok choy and noodles and toss in the wok for a further minute.
- Using a slotted spoon or spider, scoop out the squid, noodles and vegetables and place in a serving bowl.
- Boil sauce vigorously until slightly thickened, pour over squid, noddles and vegetables serve immediately.
- Notes: Many recipes call for black beans to be rinsed before using - this recipe doesn't as rinsing them will wash away the flavour.
Alternative species: Calamari, cuttlefish, baby octopus (cut into quarters), pipi or vongole (cover wok for a minute or 2 once they're added to steam them open).