A Portland teenager who purchased a Holden Commodore with $19,000 stolen cash has been bailed interstate.
Brodie Watts, 19, now of Wynyard, Tasmania, appeared in Warrnambool Magistrates Court on Wednesday charged with obtaining property by deception, dealing with proceeds of crime, burglary, theft and bail-related offences.
His lawyer Morgan Adams said Mr Watts had an intellectual disability and had "fallen into a particularly unhelpful crowd of people in Frankston and Portland".
Mr Adams said Mr Watts had been "essentially homeless" for the last few months but would have stable accommodation with his grandmother if released on bail.
Magistrate Mark Stratmann said Mr Watts was a young offender with no criminal history in the adult court and strong family support.
He granted the teenager bail with a $1000 surety.
Other conditions include an overnight 10pm to 7am curfew and he not associate with any co-accused.
Mr Watts and an 18-year-old from Endeavour Hills were allegedly arrested on Monday after the pair stole four t-shirts worth $260 from Portland tuxedo shop Alex Cancian Menswear.
At the time of the shop theft, Mr Watt was on bail after being arrested on Sunday night over burglary and theft-related offences.
Portland police Senior Constable Leah Sullivan alleged Mr Watts used a family member's credit card to withdraw $19,000 without their permission on April 26.
He then fled to Melbourne and used the cash to purchase a Holden Commodore sedan fitted with a sound system.
Senior Constable Sullivan said Mr Watts did not hold a driver's licence.
She said the accused also stole about $2000 from the same victim by logging into their online bank account and transferring the money to his own account.
Mr Watts handed himself into police on June 16.
Senior Constable Sullivan said the Holden Commodore was seized. A search of the vehicle located about $4000 worth of AFL memorabilia and other personal items stolen from the victim's home.
It is believed the offender gained access to the property by forcing open a window.
Senior Constable Sullivan said a court order prohibited Mr Watts from remaining within 100 metres of the victim's home.
Mr Watts will appear in court again on August 12.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.