The Shaw River bridge will remain closed to heavy vehicles until the end of the month, as strengthening works begin at Yambuk.
The bridge is currently closed to vehicles over 42.5 tonnes after recent inspections revealed some structural degradation on one of the bridge's supporting piers.
Regional Roads Victoria's (RRV) structural and geotechnical engineers have been completing necessary assessments and detailed designs for short term strengthening works designed to reinstate access for heavy vehicles.
These works will begin on Friday, April 26 and are expected to be completed on Monday, April 29, weather permitting.
Large galvanised U-shaped beams will be installed beneath the bridge to help reinforce the structure. The bridge will remain open under traffic management while these works are underway.
RRV chief regional roads officer Paul Northey said the works were an interim measure while planning continued for full bridge repairs.
"We're currently sourcing the necessary parts and finalising our designs for this vital project. We know how important it is that this important freight route be reopened to heavy vehicles as soon as possible and are working as fast as we can," he said.
"I want to thank drivers and local industries for their support and patience."
A temporary lane closure will remain in place following the completion of these strengthening works.
Heavy vehicles travelling west will be diverted to the Hamilton-Port Fairy Road and then on to either Woolsthorpe-Heywood Road or Myamyn MacArthur Road.
Those travelling east will be diverted to Tyendarra-Ettrick Road then on to Woolsthorpe-Heywood Road to Hamilton-Port Fairy Road.
South West Coast MP Roma Britnell last week voiced her concerns over vehicles being re-directed onto the Woolsthorpe-Heywood Road.
She said the road large single lane sections and steep drop-offs from the edge of the pavement to the shoulders which are full of potholes after recent rain.
Portable traffic lights with radar capacity will control traffic flow and ensure no one is waiting too long on a red light.
"Traffic management and a temporary lane closure will remain in place while we continue to plan for long term repairs," Mr Northey said.
"This work is ongoing, and we will keep the community up to date every step of the way."
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.