The case against Heywood parolee William Pickett over the alleged assault of a 17-year-old during a South West league football match has returned to court.
The 28-year-old Heathmere player appeared in Portland Magistrates Court on Tuesday charged with recklessly causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury and breaching parole.
Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Mick Aitken said there was a dispute over whether the injury was classed as a serious injury or “just an injury”.
He said the victim continued to play after the alleged on-field assault and was later taken to Hamilton Hospital after feeling nauseous and dizzy.
He said the victim suffered fractures to the left and right side of his jaw and his right cheek bone.
The off-the-ball incident occurred in June last year.
Leading Senior Constable Aitken alleged the victim ran at the accused after an initial bump with another player.
Mr Pickett copped a three-match suspension from the South West District Football League independent tribunal in August after pleading not guilty to an intentionally striking charge.
Magistrate Franz Holzer said there was still “a bit of work to be done” before the matter could proceed.
He said there needed to be careful examination of the footage of the incident to determine whether the accused acted in self-defense and if the victim’s injury occurred during the altercation between the two or earlier on in the game.
“The footage will be significant as the case evolves,” he said.
The matter was adjourned until May 21 for contest mention.
Mr Pickett’s bail was extended.
Have you signed up to The Standard's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in the south-west.