AFL Western District hopes to unveil its final junior review recommendations in mid-October after delaying its initial announcement.
It had planned to do so on Friday before issuing a statement on its Facebook page.
AFL Western District now expects to deliver its recommendations in September with clubs then having 15 days to provide feedback.
An initial review was conducted in 2017 before backlash from Hampden and Warrnambool and District league clubs forced it to be put on the backburner.
Age groups and potential cap systems are under the microscope.
Commission chairman Gerard Lucas said the decision to delay the release was “not taken lightly”.
“We understand that this is outside the timeline agreed upon earlier in the year,” he said. “However, our main priority remains the long-term welfare of clubs and this decision is made with a great deal of care, in the best interests of all.”
AFL Western District’s statement said it was “taking meticulous attention to ensure the recommendations are the right step forward for the clubs across both leagues involved in the review”.
Lucas said further analysis was needed to ensure a positive outcome.